Thursday, February 3, 2011

Greetings to my new blog a chance for a new beginning.

I have tried my hand at blogging before.  First solo when I was quite a bit younger, and I found my attention waned pretty fast.  The second time, I tried with a partner, whom had radically different ideas about what the blog was for.  Thus, I am trying now.  The following was one of the last posts from my last blog, which I felt could have been given more attention.

Today I'm here to talk to you about something we're doing wrong, in my humble opinion.  I was watching a movie with my girlfriend today, and there were women being raped and murdered on the screen.  I can't describe how much it upset me, I almost wanted to go and sit in another room.  She observed that most people were hardened enough about that sort of thing, and we continued watching the movie.  As it went on, the Police picked up a survivor girl from one of the rapes, but she wouldn't talk about it, so they arrested her.  Then, they cut a deal with the accomplice of the multiple rapist murderer.

I'm sorry, excuse me?  Label me the Law-Abiding Citizen here but that shouldn't cut it.  I realize that in order for the justice system to function, there needs to be informers, and sometimes those are the accomplices.  But it doesn't mean they should get off with no more than a possible wrist slap.  Something wrong has been done, and they should be dealt with as well.

I'm noticing that although society is taking steps to alleviate certain things like Racism, or Sexual Assault, or violence against the innocent, and this is at it's core well-meaning folk, wishing the best for others; however, not everyone gets to have such things.  We're focusing too much on the smaller problems of a bigger whole.  What I'm referring to here, is that while we sit here in our stable temperate country, while crimes go through as shocking tidbits in a regular day for most or a life changing event for the unlucky, they're common place in other places in the world, even within our own country.

The world is not a nice place, but it has it's moments.  Overall, this world is ripe with hatred and violence, and most reasons are dumb.  One thing that came up during the movie was that I didn't really care about Native American/First Nations culture.  I don't mean that disrespectively, but rather that I simply view them as equal to everyone else.  The same goes for Asians, Afro-Canadian/Americans, etc.  I don't see Arabian's as any different from other people either.  It's just not my way of life, and I don't really understand why people can degrade eachother so senselessly.  I mean, as anyone can really attest to, people of every ethnic origin are people.  They have relatively speaking, the same flesh and blood as everyone else, but this doesn't seem to register.  I don't know where they lost this idea.  Perhaps it's in the religious texts from ages past, from the mouths of hateful and greedy leaders, but it needs to stop (Goblins still get +7 on Dwarves over ancient feuds, though)

Now, I don't really mean to Patrick Stewart Speech you, but Humanity has so many great qualities going for it.  We're infinitely adaptable, inventive, compassionate, capable of great feats.  I believe that religion does a lot of good for people, which is why I'm currently looking into a religion, however I also know that there are people that use belief out there for ill and for abuse of fellow man.  Take a look to the middle east, with the Israelis and Palestinians.  This is not right, this is not just.   People should be happy where they are, or if they aren't, they should have the freedom to try to do better, to strive for more out of life, not be shot down at gun point for not bending under a boot heel.  This is a system created by evil men, whom have gained power.

I do not understand how people can do so much damage to one another.  Speaking as someone who has hurt people emotionally and physically before, I regret everytime I did it and I'd take it back if I could.  But lately, I've taken a step back from the world and watched, and found that in my dealings with people, there isn't a lot that I should be very offended about.  I may be upset for a few hours after it happens, but it's not worth stressing over.  I'm used to people not believing what I believe in life, so maybe that gives me an edge, but I'm satisfied that people have their own beliefs and I have mine.  My beliefs keep me happy, and living, and theirs do the same for them.  Why is there conflict?  There shouldn't be any there.  I do not know enough about politics in Africa, or perhaps the lack of politics, to make any real commentary about that land, I wish I did though.

To finish up this blog post, is a quote I found which I like.  It's from Robert Heinlein, Sci-fi author and man of the belief that personal liberty and self-reliance were the greatest virtues a man could have.

...  And finally, I believe in my whole race. Yellow, white, black, red, brown --in the honesty, courage, intelligence, durability....and goodness.....of the overwhelming majority of my brothers and sisters everywhere on this planet. I am proud to be a human being. I believe that we have come this far by the skin of our teeth, that we always make it just by the skin of our teeth --but that we will always make it....survive....endure. I believe that this hairless embryo with the aching, oversize brain case and the opposable thumb, this animal barely up from the apes, will endure --will endure longer than his home planet, will spread out to the other planets, to the stars, and beyond, carrying with him his honesty, his insatiable curiosity, his unlimited courage --and his noble essential decency. 
This I believe with all my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment